Since the early days of human civilization clothing items cut from animal skins have been used in the society to stay warm in extreme cold climatic conditions. Out of all the animals whose skins are used to make clothes, sheep have been the best supplier of good quality pelts. As a matter of fact shearling is one of the most popular fabrics over the ages. It is also called lambskin. Unlike wool genuine shearling invariably comes from young lambs and not fully-grown sheep. In fact ordinary sheepskin is never as soft and supple in texture as shearling or lambskin and this is why the distinction is relevant.
However, lamnskin coats and jackets are not only luxuriously soft but are also amazingly warm and comfortable in severe cold conditions. Thus this range of coats is an excellent investment for people living in geographical regions that experience harsh bitter winter.
A costly affair
Lambskin clothes are very costly and there are several reasons behind it. The processing of these pelts is a lengthy and highly labor-intensive affair. Once a manufacturer acquires the pelts, a series of steps has to be followed before one can actually craft out jackets from those.
- Initially the matching pelts are categorized so that it looks all the wool in a coat came from a single lamb.
- Then the patterns are manually cut and this step requires involving highly skilled professionals.
- Lastly the pelts are stitched together before actual garments are made from them.
This series of processes takes time and effort. Thus you are often asked to shell out hundreds of dollars or even more to buy a lambskin jacket.
Reasons to invest in the fabric
Lambskin dressing items are overwhelmingly popular cutting across gender divides and age groups. But do you really need buying these costly dressing items? Yes, there are and those are many.
- This version of fabric is highly durable and rugged compared to almost any other fabric.
- It offers unbelievable warmth and insulation; in fact lambskin dressing items are ideal for places that experience harsh, bitter winter for months at a stretch with the temperature dipping as low as several degrees below the ice point.
- The range of fashion items is pretty light weight and easy to carry.
- Moreover, stylish shearling jackets require minimal care and maintenance to last you for years together.
Considering all these factors it is obvious why the fabric is so popular in fashion circuits down the ages.
Unlike many other costly fabrics you usually do not need carrying your prized lambskin coat to dry cleaners to get rid of visible dirt and stains. In addition to the points mentioned above usually this version of coats and jackets is resistant to water and moisture.
If your precious lambskin coat gets wet from rain or snow you need to dry it at room temperature. Just put it on a hanger and leave it in an open, airy space away from direct sunlight. Once the jacket is dry all you have to do is brush off the water stains.
Experienced designers working on shearling leather jackets for years together have an important suggestion at this point. In warm sunny season when these super warm, fashionable dressing items are not in use do store them in a dry place wrapped in a cardboard box or any other breathable container. This helps avoiding the problem of mild dew. Never ever place your lambskin clothing items in plastic. You can be rest assured that moths and insects do not have the capacity to damage this range of clothing.
Shearling coats are certainly a lifetime investment. And they also provide a timeless appeal and that is why this version of garments is often passed down from one generation to another as family heirlooms.